Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Shifting Databases (Win 2003, 10g)
Shifting Databases [message #303561] Fri, 29 February 2008 14:59 Go to next message
durgadas.menon
Hi,

I have to move the database of one branch of the company to another. One branch has expired its oracle license and does not want to renew it as they do not have much work now. I have LAN access to the target computer different city.

One DBA friend of mine told that I can just copy the systems files from this site to the target computer in the same location and create a service of the same name and the database will be up and running without any loss of any objects and data.

Is this possible?

Is there any other way to do this?

- Das
Re: Shifting Databases [message #303563 is a reply to message #303561] Fri, 29 February 2008 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
It is possible, if it's the *exact* same oracle version.

On the running source database run an

alter system backup controlfile to trace;

You should then have a SQL - Script in the user trace directory which can be used to re-create the database on the target system after the files are copied and the service is created.

You can also adjust the database name and the paths of the data files in that script.
Re: Shifting Databases [message #303564 is a reply to message #303561] Fri, 29 February 2008 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
If with "system files" you meant all the database files (data files, temp files, redo logs, control files, configuration file, password file), yes it is true.

Regards
Michel
Re: Shifting Databases [message #303566 is a reply to message #303564] Fri, 29 February 2008 15:25 Go to previous message
ThomasG
Ups, sorry, it's

alter database backup controlfile to trace;

Previous Topic: National Character Set
Next Topic: Changing homes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Sep 17 19:55:27 CDT 2024