Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » HELP ..HELP..!!Oracle upgrade from 8i to 10g
HELP ..HELP..!!Oracle upgrade from 8i to 10g [message #296124] Thu, 24 January 2008 14:02 Go to next message
oracle1281
I'm new to oracle development and this is my first project. Embarassed Confused

I need to know that if we are upgrading from 8i to 10g without adding any new features.then what are all the things we need to look for in database side(as developers),and in asp code.

also what should we look for in VB code and COM objects and DLL's
also there is a lot of code in c# (in a .net based newer application which is already in 10g but has close dependencies and database links going to other applications which are in 8i)

Please guide through the steps .

Thanks in advance

[Updated on: Thu, 24 January 2008 14:07]

Report message to a moderator

Re: HELP ..HELP..!!Oracle upgrade from 8i to 10g [message #296156 is a reply to message #296124] Thu, 24 January 2008 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mkbhati

A full volume can be written in answer to your question. Please read upgrade guide of your target version as a best point of start. No other documents can cover the upgrade topic as vastly as platform specific upgrade guides from Oracle which are part of your oracle media. Also do not disturb your production system until you have tested entire upgrade process on a staging server, Its better to be safe than sorry later when you have messed up everything.
And yes, if you have any technical queries during your upgrade process please do post them in this forum, members will be happy to help you.

Regards

Manjit Kumar[mkbhati]
Re: HELP ..HELP..!!Oracle upgrade from 8i to 10g [message #296645 is a reply to message #296156] Mon, 28 January 2008 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oracle1281
Thanks for your reply

I have gone through the upgrade guide but I still have some doubts about the upgrade proceedure for applacations.

what prolems do you think we can face on the application side...like do we need to go through all the asp code/ dlls / .net code to find if there is any sql which may create any problem even though we are not adding the new features in the database.
Re: HELP ..HELP..!!Oracle upgrade from 8i to 10g [message #296655 is a reply to message #296645] Mon, 28 January 2008 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
Yes this may happen.

Regards
Michel
Re: HELP ..HELP..!!Oracle upgrade from 8i to 10g [message #296737 is a reply to message #296124] Mon, 28 January 2008 22:35 Go to previous message
mkbhati
Quote:
what prolems do you think we can face on the application side...like do we need to go through all the asp code/ dlls / .net code to find if there is any sql which may create any problem even though we are not adding the new features in the database.

If your ASP code does not use any undocumented things than do not expect any serious issues on oracle part. Yes there are issues with providers (older providers may have issues with newer oracle versions ). If you are using Microsoft providers for oracle than remember Microsoft have stopped shipping providers after Oracle 7. Even Microsoft providers that ships with Windows 2003 (DAO 2.7) does not provide you functionality & compatibility beyond Oracle 7. You have to make a choice either to change your provider or not. Changing a providers with ASP code have serious consequences. If planing to change your middle tier i.e. IIS than be prepared to face the music as there is change in scripting engine behavior. Choice is yours but one thing is sure that upgrade is to be done either today or tomorrow, more you delay the upgrade more complex will be the situation for next level.

The best thing that can be advised is to do a upgrade on a staging server & test your applications before touching the production.

[Updated on: Mon, 28 January 2008 22:36]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: dirty buffers and changed data
Next Topic: Contents of database buffer cache
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Sep 17 19:54:59 CDT 2024