Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » How to deside the SGA size for fresh oracle installation?
How to deside the SGA size for fresh oracle installation? [message #295654] Wed, 23 January 2008 00:38 Go to next message
tannad
Suppose I installed the fresh Linux 7.3on the machine..
then how we decide the kernel parameter inLinux?
and how we decide the SGA size??

Suppose we have 2 GB of RAM
and dump file of datadase is 50 GB
So what is the Brake up of SGA?
How we deside the PGA_Aggregate_targate,
buffer cache,java pool large pool, db block size,redo log buffer,SGA_max _size??

can you tell mi regarding that how we decide it for fresh installation of database Smile
Re: How to deside the SGA size for fresh oracle installation? [message #295669 is a reply to message #295654] Wed, 23 January 2008 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mkbhati

Answer to your query is Oracle version & your target database type dependent. Provide more inputs if you can, this will indeed help forum members to evaluate your situation in a better way.

Regards

Manjit Kumar [mkbhati]
Re: How to deside the SGA size for fresh oracle installation? [message #295676 is a reply to message #295669] Wed, 23 January 2008 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tannad
Hi
Manjit
I want to INSTALLATION OF ORACLE 9I RELEASE 2 ON LINUX 7.3
Ram size is 2GB
So on what basis we deside the kernel parameter?

/proc/sys/kernel/shmmax

/proc/sys/kernel/shmni
shmni

/proc/sys/fs/file-max
ulimit -

means how much we keep shmmax,min,ulimit,?
and Suppose my database size is 50 Gb then how we devide the SGA parameter ?
Means for that 2GB ram how much we keep for SGA ? how much for OS?
and what is the Break up in SGA?

Regards,
Tanad

[Updated on: Wed, 23 January 2008 04:41]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to deside the SGA size for fresh oracle installation? [message #295746 is a reply to message #295654] Wed, 23 January 2008 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mkbhati
Tannad,

1. For Kernel parameters refer installation guide of your platform version. This guide is part of your Oracle Media & also available on following link. http://tahiti.oracle.com/

for Linus related : http://tldp.org/

2. You plan to use LINUX 7.3. Please use a linux version which is optimised for server role & performance if your target database is a production one else go ahead with what ever you have. There is a linux offering (free of cost)from Oracle else you can visit to download. : http://www.oracle.com/linux.

3, For SGA & PGA keep 70%:30% ratio of RAM kept aside for oracle. For Oracle & OS keep 70%:30% of total RAM. These recommendations are for total RAM up to 2 GB or less for higher RAM reduce OS share proportionately. Later on tune as per performance requirement as your database goes full stream in production.

4. for shmmax, shmni,shmni,file-max follow recommendations in your installation Guide because their values is OS & kernel version specific.

5. For SGA advisable to Specify SGA_TARGET & let oracle manage its components until performance issues demands manual resizing.

6. some nice docs are here for you to read if desire : http://www.oracle-base.com/articles/9i/Articles9i.php

Hope this will clear. Volumes have been written on installation.My advice is read as much as you can.

Manjit Kumar [mkbhati]

[Updated on: Wed, 23 January 2008 04:44]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to deside the SGA size for fresh oracle installation? [message #295752 is a reply to message #295746] Wed, 23 January 2008 05:17 Go to previous message
tannad
Thanks Manjit ..
This Foram clears my idea regarding SGA management and kernel parameters...

Thanks a lot
Regards,
Tanad
Mumbai
Previous Topic: Question about Problems with DBCA
Next Topic: Can PMON be killed?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Sep 17 20:05:13 CDT 2024