Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Archive log files on remote disk
Archive log files on remote disk [message #255041] Mon, 30 July 2007 08:38 Go to next message
sandman42
Hi,

I have a problem in storing archive log files on a networked disk.

System is Oracle 9.2.0.6 running on a Win2K3.

Right now, archive logs are going to a local disk (F) and everything is ok, and in init.ora I have:
log_archive_dest=F:\ArchiveLogs\MyDB

If I use drive N, that is a remote folder on a LaCie Ehternet disk RAID, I have the following errors:
SQL> startup pfile=C:\oracle\ora92\admin\oratrast\pfile\init.ora
ORA-16032: parameter LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST destination string cannot be translated
ORA-09291: sksachk: invalid device specified for archive destination
OSD-04018: Impossibile accedere alla directory o all'unita specificata.
O/S-Error: (OS 3) The system cannot find the path specified.

On drive N there are full rights, i.e. copying from command line works fine, but Oracle cannot access it.

What's wrong, or how can I diagnose the problem?

TIA
Re: Archive log files on remote disk [message #255045 is a reply to message #255041] Mon, 30 July 2007 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
You can't put archived logs on a network disk.

See Accessing Data Files and Log Files on Remote Computers

Regards
Michel
Re: Archive log files on remote disk [message #255047 is a reply to message #255045] Mon, 30 July 2007 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sandman42
Michel Cadot wrote on Mon, 30 July 2007 08:45
You can't put archived logs on a network disk.
See Accessing Data Files and Log Files on Remote Computers

I already did that, but the docs you have mentioned say a little different thing:
Quote:
Locations of archive log files cannot be specified using UNC. Always set initialization parameter LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_n to a mapped drive. If you set it to a UNC specification, then Oracle9i database does not start and you receive the following errors:

IMHO, this does not mean that I cannot put AL's on networked drive, but that I MUST use a mapped drive, instead on a UNC path, i.e., instead of

log_archive_dest=\\mynas\mydir

I have to map \\mynas\mydir as a drive, N in my case, and use

log_archive_dest=N:\

Am I correct?

Thanks
Re: Archive log files on remote disk [message #255057 is a reply to message #255047] Mon, 30 July 2007 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michel Cadot
Account Moderator
You then just give a synonym.
You don't change the reality, imo.

Regards
Michel
Re: Archive log files on remote disk [message #255060 is a reply to message #255057] Mon, 30 July 2007 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sandman42
Michel Cadot wrote on Mon, 30 July 2007 09:14
You then just give a synonym.
You don't change the reality, imo.

That's right, but IMHO if it does not work, they should say "You cannot put AL on a networked drive". Full stop.

Anyway, thanks: I'll try to ask to Oracle just to hear what they have to say about that (and report their answer here).

Ciao
Re: Archive log files on remote disk [message #255063 is a reply to message #255060] Mon, 30 July 2007 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ThomasG
There is also the difference between "log_archive_dest" and "log_archive_dest_N" to consider.

The parameter must be prefixes with "LOCATION=" or "SERVICE=" in for the second case.

Re: Archive log files on remote disk [message #255078 is a reply to message #255041] Mon, 30 July 2007 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zahar
There are no problems with backup on net drive and You can use UNC there. You can diminish archivelog disk space but use more often backup operation with archivelog files deletion.
Seems it would be better for server performance too then put archivelogs on net drive.
Re: Archive log files on remote disk [message #255085 is a reply to message #255041] Mon, 30 July 2007 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebrian
In order to do this on Windows, you have to ensure the Windows Oracle service is started with the oracle account that will be writing to the remote drive.
Re: Archive log files on remote disk [message #255095 is a reply to message #255085] Mon, 30 July 2007 11:01 Go to previous message
zahar
Of course You have to. For how else Oracle can work with remote disk if there are no access rights to do it ?
Seems it is not a big problem to config Oracle service login with correspondent account.

Thanks for remind.

At least I prefer this way: moderate archivelog on local drive and extensive backup remote disks.
Previous Topic: More Patchset Rollback Question
Next Topic: Query Regarding flush shared_pool
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 14:03:57 CDT 2024