Home » RDBMS Server » Server Utilities » import and export -- advise needed urgently
import and export -- advise needed urgently [message #73581] Tue, 25 May 2004 07:03 Go to next message
Chakravarthy
Hello,

I am doing a research as part of my studies, and my topic is "The different ways of communication between different applications". For eg:- if iam having two applications built with two different softwares like one with VB and one with Java, then what are the ways that they can communicate with oneanother, I mean what are the ways that they can exchange data with oneanother.

I have been given a case study where there are two applications, one built with VB and the other with Java, and also their respective databases are built using Oracle. Now both should communicate with one another, I mean both should exchange data’s with one another.

So, my task is to know the different methods available in doing this and list out their advantages and disadvantages. I have listed out three possibilites namely,

1 – Connecting VB to Java (through drivers) and sending data.

2 – Connecting Java to VB (through JDBC) and sending data.

3 – Building some kind of connector in between to do this exchange.

I would like to know two things, one is the other different ways available in the software world in doing this with thier pros and cons. Second is if I am using the third option, ie building connector, how should I go about it, I mean, which software should I use, etc.

could anybody advise me

Thanks in advance

Chakri
Re: import and export -- advise needed urgently [message #73600 is a reply to message #73581] Mon, 31 May 2004 05:59 Go to previous message
Tak Tang
I would use the oracle database as a generic programmable adaptor.

Firstly, one application could simple read the tables used by the other application. If the tables are in different schemas, you could create synonyms and grant priviliges so they can see each others data. If they are on two different databases, you can connect them using DATABASE LINKs.

Alternatively, you could use Oracle's Advanced Queues for asynchronous message passing and notification; or use DBMS_ALERT, which behaves rather link Unix SIGNALS; or DBMS_PIPE, which acts like unix/windows named pipes. You could also leverage the XML capabilites to communicate in an 'independent' manner. Oracle can also send emails (with the assistance of an SMTP server). Oracle can also make TCP and HTTP requests, so you could use SOAP. There is also a lot of stuff for providing web services (again, XML and SOAP).

You can find documentation for all these features on http://otn.oracle.com/. I would sugguest starting with the 'Application Developers Guide : Fundamentals'.

Takmeister
Previous Topic: Oracle9i Export Utility
Next Topic: Scripts
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 02 10:22:06 CDT 2024